ALLS Conference 2020
The 3rd African Labour Law Society (ALLS) Conference will be held at The Grand Palm Hotel Casino and Convention Resort, Gaborone, Botswana on 27-28 March 2020. This coincides with the African Regional Congress of the International Society for Labour and Social Security Law (ISLSSL). The central theme of the conference will be “Decent Work in Developing African Countries: Contemporary Legal and Social Challenges”. We look forward to your participation.
The Conference Committee, comprised of Pamhidzai Bamu, Rutendo Mudarikwa, Amah Afadameh and Prof Stefan van Eck are currently working on the programme.
The proposed themes of the conference are:
Theme 1: Impact of international norms, regional integration and human rights on Decent Work - The Botswana Case study
Theme 2: Precarious and new forms of work: Matching job creation and rights at work;
Theme 3: Developments in unfair dismissal in the workplace
Theme 4: Workplace bullying and harassment in the workplace; and
Theme 5: Challenges, opportunities for promoting compliance with labour law
Theme 6: Regulating HIV and AIDS in the workplace; and
Theme 7: Challenges, opportunities for promoting compliance with labour law
Theme 8: Social security: which way forward?; and
Theme 9: The role of constitutional law in advancing labour and social security protection
It is of significance that a special panel discussion will take place on the first day of the Congress on the Impact of International Norms, Regional Integration and Human Rights on Decent Work - The Botswana Case Study. Added to this, Dr Joni Musabayana (ILO) will speak during the opening session on the Impact of International Norms on African Countries. The following format will be adopted:
- There will be a number of keynote speakers spread over the one and a half days;
- There are 9 themes to choose from and there will in most instances be parallel sessions running: and
- Speakers will be given at least 20 minutes to present papers, followed by questions from the floor.
- Submission of abstracts – on or before 1 June 2019 (one page 500 words – authors can submit more than one abstract);
- Notification of acceptance of abstracts - 1 July 2019;
- Full paper submission –1 December 2019.